More and more landlords are asking us how easy is it to switch agents. They approach us as they are unhappy or dissatisfied with their current agent, and want to know how to go about moving the management of their property to us.
There is a general assumption that it is better to wait until the current tenant has given notice to leave the property before it is acceptable to switch agents as it is far more problematic to change agents midway through a tenancy. Well, in a lot of cases this can be true, however, although it may seem like a lot of hassle, it is not your hassle as we can do most of the work for you!
Have a look at our 5 step process if you are considering moving from your current letting agent:
1. Firstly, you will need to find out how much, if any, notice you are required to give your current agent as detailed within the Terms and Conditions you signed at the start of your contract. Having determined this, give the required notice in writing to terminate your agreement. If you need any advice regarding this, then please contact us.
2. If you are on a fully managed service then it would be prudent to obtain the contact details for your current tenant which your agent should give you.
3. We will arrange to meet you, either at your home, or at our offices where we will go through our terms of business as well as outlining to you our lettings process and our commitment to providing an unrivalled lettings and management service. We will provide you with all the necessary paperwork for you to read and complete.
4. We will arrange to meet your current tenant at their property to explain everything to them and provide them with a Welcome Pack which will include a new standing order to pay their rent. Part of this transfer may include a new tenancy agreement for the tenant to sign. This is to protect all parties as all of our tenancy agreements are updated regularly for changes in legislation. We will also deal with any necessary deposit transfer/registration.
5. Both you and your tenant will be assigned a dedicated Property Manager who will be your contact throughout the tenancy should any matters arise that require attention.
That’s it. It really is that easy!